Web conference on CDSM Directive
“The implementation of the CDSM Directive: snapshots into the future of EU copyright law”
21 June 2021, 2:00 – 6:00 PM (CEST)
To register: CLICK HERE
In the context of our cross-disciplinary and transnational research activities, we are glad to invite you to our next web conference on the process of implementation of the CDSM Directive.
The conference will feature two keynote speakers, Professor Raquel Xalabarder (Universitat Oberta de Catalunya) and the First Advocate General Maciej Szpunar (Court of Justice of the EU), two presentations of CDSMD implementation trackers, and four thematic panels. Each panel will be devoted to a topic that is touched by the Directive and has been subject to ReCreating Europe’s research (exceptions and limitations, authors’ remunerations and reversion right, automated content-filtering, preservation of cultural heritage). The presentation of our interim results will be commented upon by respondents representing stakeholders, policymakers, legal experts and the civil society. We look forward to your participation in the discussion!
2:00-2:05 pm – Greetings, introduction of reCreating Europe (Caterina Sganga, Scuola Superiore Sant’Anna – Coordinator, reCreating Europe)
2:05-2:20pm – The aftermath of CDMSD: where do we stand, where shall we go? (Raquel Xalabarder, Professor of Intellectual Property, Universitat Oberta de Catalunya)
2:20-2:35pm – The future of EU copyright harmonization: which role for the CJEU? (Maciej Szpunar, First Advocate General of the Court of Justice of the European Union)
Intermezzo: implementation trackers
2:45-2:55pm – CDSMD implementation tracker (Martin Kretschmer, Professor and Director, CREATe – University of Glasgow)
2:55-3:05pm – The new copyrightexceptions.eu (Paul Keller, President, Communia)
3:05-3:45pm – Panel 1: Remuneration and reversion rights
- Chair: Rebecca Giblin (Associate Professor, University of Melbourne; Director, IP Research Institute of Australia (IPRIA))
- Presenters: Ula Furgal (Research Fellow, CREATe – University of Glasgow), Joost Poort (Associate Professor and Vice-Director, IViR – University of Amsterdam)
- Respondents: Eanna Casey (Chairman of the Board, Societies’ Council for the Collective Management of Performers’ Rights (SCARP)); Cecile Deniard (Vice-President, European Council of Literary Translators’ Associations (CEATL))
3:45-4:00pm Virtual coffee break (in breakout rooms)
4:00-4:40pm – Panel 2: A new era for copyright exceptions and limitations?
- Chair: Christophe Geiger (Professor of Law, CEIPI – University of Strasbourg)
- Presenters: Caterina Sganga (Associate Professor of Private Comparative Law, Scuola Superiore Sant’Anna), Thomas Margoni (Research Professor, KU Leuven; Fellow, CREATe)
- Discussants: Agustin Reyna (Director, Legal and Economic Affairs, BEUC), Jeremy Rollinson (Senior Director of European Government Affairs, Microsoft)
4:40-5:20pm – Panel 3: Setting the rules for automated content-filtering
- Chair: Eleonora Rosati (Professor of Intellectual Property Law, University of Stockholm)
- Presenters: João Pedro Quintais (Assistant Professor, IViR – University of Amsterdam), Sebastian Schwemer (Associate Professor, CIIR – University of Copenhagen)
- Discussants: Cédric Manara (Head of Copyright, Google), Martin Husovec (Assistant Professor, LSE)
5:20-6:00pm – Panel 4: Preservation of cultural heritage
- Chair: Andrea Wallace (Senior Lecturer in Law, University of Exeter)
- Presenters: Giulia Dore (Research Fellow, University of Trento), Marta Iljadica (Lecturer in Law, CREATe – University of Glasgow)
- Discussants: Ariadna Matas (Policy Advisor, Europeana); Ben White (Chair of Copyright Working Group, LIBER)
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!